Australia Cuts Diplomatic Ties with Iran, Expels Ambassador, Shuts Embassy in Tehran

Australia Cuts Diplomatic Ties with Iran, Expels Ambassador, Shuts Embassy in Tehran

World News : Canberra, August 26: Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has announced the severing of diplomatic ties with Iran, accusing Tehran of orchestrating attacks on the Jewish community in Australia.

Albanese revealed that Iranian operatives were behind two incidents — the Adass Israel Synagogue in Melbourne and Lewis Continental Kitchen in Sydney — which were targeted in October and December last year. Both sites suffered fire damage, though no casualties were reported.

The prime minister confirmed that the Iranian ambassador has been expelled and Australia’s embassy in Tehran has been closed. Addressing a press conference at Parliament House, Albanese was joined by Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) chief Mike Burgess, Foreign Minister Penny Wong, and Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke.

ASIO chief Burgess said Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) attempted to cover up its role but investigations confirmed Tehran’s involvement in at least two anti-Jewish attacks on Australian soil.

Foreign Minister Penny Wong added that Iranian diplomats have been given seven days to leave the country. She noted this was the first time since World War II that Australia has expelled an ambassador, calling Iran’s actions “a direct assault on our sovereignty.”

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke announced that the government will move to designate the IRGC as a terrorist organisation under Australia’s criminal code. “This is an unprecedented attack on our society, motivated by anti-Semitism,” Burke said.

related posts