New U.S. Policy: Undocumented Immigrants to Be Held Without Bail

New U.S. Policy: Undocumented Immigrants to Be Held Without Bail

World News : The Trump administration has announced a stringent new immigration policy that will significantly impact millions of undocumented immigrants residing in the United States. The Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency has made it clear that undocumented individuals will now be held in custody without the right to a bail hearing.

Army Recruitment Rally in Ranchi from August 22 to September 4

According to The Washington Post, this new measure is aimed at speeding up deportations. Previously, undocumented immigrants could request bail through immigration courts. Now, ICE has been allocated billions of dollars to expand detention facilities and hold migrants throughout their deportation proceedings, which may last months or even years.

ICE’s Acting Director Todd M. Lyons confirmed this policy on July 8, stating that the Department of Homeland Security has revised its legal stance on detentions and releases. The new directive mandates that anyone caught living illegally in the U.S. will remain in detention until their case concludes.

Millions Could Be Affected
Immigration lawyers believe this policy could apply to millions, including those who have lived in the U.S. for decades and have U.S.-born children. They warn that denying bail hearings will severely limit immigrants’ ability to defend themselves legally.

ICE spokespersons told The Independent that the policy addresses critical loopholes in immigration enforcement and is crucial for national security. Over the next four years, the government plans to spend $45 billion to expand detention facilities, increasing available beds from 80,000 to over 100,000.

Legal Pushback Expected
Legal experts anticipate constitutional challenges, especially on human rights grounds. Immigration attorney Paul Huncker from Dallas said, “This policy could result in indefinite detention for people simply awaiting deportation orders, stripping them of basic due process.”

Government Defends Move as Necessary for Security
Homeland Security Assistant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin supported the move, stating, “President Trump and Secretary Noem are committed to this reform. While some sympathizers may protest, the administration will not allow lawbreakers to walk free on American streets.”

ICE is currently working to implement the policy nationwide, and detainees will be processed under the new rules effective immediately.

related posts