14th Death Due to Contaminated Water in Indore, Over 1,400 Infected; Families Refuse Compensation Cheques

14th Death Due to Contaminated Water in Indore, Over 1,400 Infected; Families Refuse Compensation Cheques

India News : The death toll due to contaminated drinking water in Bhagirathpura area of Indore, known as the country’s cleanest city, has risen to 14. The latest victim has been identified as Arvind (43), a resident of Kulkarni Bhatta. Earlier, 13 deaths were reported between December 21 and 31.

On Thursday morning, state minister Kailash Vijayvargiya visited the Bhagirathpura locality. During the visit, compensation cheques of ₹2 lakh each were distributed to the families of seven deceased persons. However, the families expressed strong resentment and refused to accept the cheques, stating that they did not want monetary compensation but accountability.

Residents, especially women, confronted the minister and alleged that contaminated water has been supplied to the area for the past two years. They claimed multiple complaints were made earlier, but no action was taken. “Had our complaints been addressed in time, so many lives would not have been lost,” they said.

Official Report Confirms Contaminated Water as Cause

The government’s medical report has now confirmed that contaminated drinking water was responsible for the outbreak. CMHO Dr. Madhav Hasani said that water samples tested at Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Medical College laboratory clearly indicated that people fell ill and died due to polluted water. The contamination occurred due to leakage in the pipeline, allowing sewage to mix with the drinking water supply.

Indore MP Shankar Lalwani stated that water samples contained deadly bacteria, and an official figure of deaths and infections would be released soon.

Scale of Infection and Medical Response

So far, the health department has surveyed 7,992 households, identifying 2,456 infected or suspected cases. Over 200 patients were admitted to hospitals, of whom around 40 have been discharged, while 162 patients are still undergoing treatment in various hospitals.

Treatment is being provided across 14 government and private hospitals in the city. At MGM Medical College’s Chacha Nehru Hospital, 11 children, ranging from one month to 14 years of age, are currently admitted.

To prevent further spread, the health department has deployed 21 medical teams, including doctors, paramedical staff, ANMs, and ASHA workers, along with 11 ambulances. Revenue officials have also been stationed in private hospitals for coordination.

Political Row and Demand for Resignation

A video showing angry residents confronting Minister Vijayvargiya was shared on social media by MP Congress chief Jitu Patwari. He alleged government apathy and accused the minister of ignoring the grievances of affected women. The Congress party has demanded Vijayvargiya’s resignation on moral grounds.

High Court Seeks Status Report

The Madhya Pradesh High Court has sought a detailed status report by January 2 on the deaths and treatment of patients, while also directing that free treatment be provided to all affected persons. The court was hearing two Public Interest Litigations filed by local residents.

Chief Minister Mohan Yadav has ordered an inquiry into the incident and directed senior officials to inspect the affected area. Officials inspected water quality during supply hours and identified points where sewage water was mixing with the Narmada pipeline.

Earlier Cholera Outbreak

This is not the first such incident in Indore. In July 2023, cholera had spread in Clerk Colony and Subhash Nagar, where water samples had tested positive for harmful bacteria, including those causing cholera.

The situation in Bhagirathpura remains critical, with authorities racing against time to contain the outbreak and restore safe drinking water supply.

related posts