- UGC-NET June 2026 exams for English, Commerce and Sociology were cancelled after serious paper errors, prompting Rahul Gandhi to question NTA and the Centre.
India News : Congress leader Rahul Gandhi has strongly criticised the Narendra Modi government and the National Testing Agency (NTA) after the cancellation of three UGC-NET June 2026 examinations — English, Commerce and Sociology. The NTA has scheduled fresh examinations for the three subjects on September 9 and 10, 2026, after finding serious factual, translation and typing errors, along with repeated questions from previous papers.
The UGC-NET examinations were conducted between June 22 and 30. Rahul Gandhi said students were being made to suffer for mistakes committed by the NTA.
Rahul Gandhi Questions NTA
In a social media post, Rahul Gandhi said the examinations held between June 22 and 30 were cancelled nearly two months later because of incorrect question papers and repetition of old questions.
He also questioned whether the papers had been leaked beforehand. Reiterating his remarks made in Kota, Dehradun and Prayagraj, Rahul Gandhi said the education system had become an “extraction machine” that takes away students’ money, years, mental peace and confidence without providing jobs in return.
Rahul Gandhi also questioned the accountability of the NTA and the government. He said that, like other institutions under the Modi government, the NTA never accepts its mistakes.
Retest Scheduled for September 9 and 10
According to the NTA’s official notice, serious factual, translation and typing errors were found in the question papers for English, Commerce and Sociology.
The English examination will be conducted on September 9 in Shift 1, while the Commerce examination will take place on the same day in Shift 2. The Sociology retest will be held on September 10 in Shift 1.
The NTA has clarified that candidates will not have to pay any examination fee again for the retest. It has also stated that the number of available seats will not be reduced.
Results for 84 Other Subjects on Schedule
The NTA has said that results for the remaining 84 subjects will be declared according to the scheduled programme.
There will be no delay in issuing e-certificates for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF), Assistant Professor eligibility and PhD admissions for these 84 subjects.
For Assistant Professor eligibility, 6% of candidates will be selected based on the higher number of eligible candidates among those appearing in either the June examination or the retest. The NTA has also clarified that the number of seats in any subject will not be reduced.
Rahul Gandhi Seeks Accountability
Reacting to the cancellation, Rahul Gandhi said students who had prepared for years and travelled to examination centres in distant locations were being punished for the failure of the system.
Encouraging candidates who will have to appear for the examinations again in September, he said the mistake was not theirs. Rahul Gandhi alleged that Prime Minister Narendra Modi had created a system that could not even conduct examinations properly.
He also said that the resignation of Dharmendra Pradhan was the first step, but not the last, and demanded that accountability for the NTA leadership should also be fixed.







